Tuesday 4 September 2012

Dorset (1-4/9/12) SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER

For the last 4 days I have been on Portland on a holiday with my Mum.

1/9/12
We arrived in Dorset in the afternoon. In the early evening I decided to try and twitch the Woodchat Shrike but it did not show its self and only 2 Whinchat were present.
After my try we headed off to our self catering.
In the evening before I went to bed I took my dog for a walk. On the walk I saw a Hedgehog in a field.

2/9/12
I got up early and took my dog for a walk to Portland Bill which is only 2 miles away. Around the bill and on the walk I saw some Wheatear but otherwise nothing. I also tried some sea watching but unfortunately it was a calm day so nothing was about.
After a while I went back home. After breakfast I decided to go to RSPB Lodmoor to teach my Mum some bird identification. On the reserve I saw 2 Black-tailed Godwits, c. 15 Ringed Plovers and  c. 15 Dunlin. After that we headed off to the Woodchat Shrike to have another go. Unfortunately it was late and didn't show again.

3/9/12
I decided to go to Portland Bill with my Mum and my Camera. On the bill there were Wheatears,a Stonechat and some Mipits. No sea birds again but some good photo opportunities.

House Sparrows on the walk to Portland Bill

two Wheatear at Portland Bill

Wheatear at Portland Bill

After having breakfast I had a break checking my iPod frequently for rare bird updates. After a while a report came in of a Long-billed Dowitcher at RSPB Lodmoor. After lunch my Mum took me to the reserve. It took me about an hour before I saw it. Some one kindly allowed me to look through his scope and I saw the LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER properly for the first time (now being thought to be a SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER). As well as the Dowitcher there was a Godwit present.

Find the Dowitcher.

The Dowitcher.

After having a good look at it I headed off to the other side to look for a Little Stint which was reported early. Some one else pointed it out to me and I could just about see the Little Stint in my bins luckily again they allowed me use there scope to have a better look. After having a good look I headed back to the dowitcher unfortunately it had gone and hid but two Black-tailed Godwits were present and were a good opportunity to get a photo.


Black-tailed Godwit RSPB Lodmoor

On the way back to the car I saw a Lapwing on the marshes which was very close it allowed me to get a photo.

Lapwing RSPB Lodmoor
After that I headed home.

4/9/12
On my last day I read on rare bird alert about two wrynecks at West Bexington. I went up there to have a  look around the area. I looked with many other people for them but unfortunately I didn't see it and nor did anyone else. I then headed off to Abbotsbury with my Mum for lunch and a walk with the dog. After that we headed back to my home in Kings Langley. A good holiday for photography and a VERY nice surprise to see a SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER.

No comments:

Post a Comment