Monday 25 April 2016

Spring

With exams drawing ever closer, I find myself once again confined to my house, local patch and occasionally Tring, which is only 30 minutes drive from my house. Procrastination being a natural cause of exam times, I've found myself out on the patch quite regularly.

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Spring has definitely sprung on patch, temperatures are rising, and flowers and buds are beginning to blossom. With them the first arrivals of Wheatear on patch were happily greeted, along with my first sighting of Whitethroat this year only yesterday.

After many years of postponing and putting it on the side lines, I have actually begun ringing. Most Sundays are now spent in Tring, training so that hopefully some day in the future I will be able to hold my own C permit. So far highlights have been: Fieldfare, Kingfisher, Treecreeper, Reed Warbler and Blackcap. Since we are usually finished by midday it leaves a couple of hours for me to visit the Reservoirs and see what I can find. I've taken these opportunities to shoot for my upcoming photography exam, and have spent my fare share of time with the Great Crested Grebes on Marsworth Reservoir.




Great Crested Grebe

Common Tern

Following last weeks ringing I visited College Lake briefly where I was able to connect with a stonking Ring Ouzel and Greenland Wheatear. Both were in mint plumage and provided good entertainment. Great views of Red Kite later in the hills didn't go amiss either.

Red Kite

In more recent weeks, the weather has been quite mild and even warm at some times, which has lead me putting the moth trap out a few times. Anything spectacular has evaded the trap so far, but some of the highlights have included: Dotted Chestnut, Frosted Green, Pine Beauty and some of the Hebrew Characters and Early Grey have been looking pretty sharp!

 Clouded Drab

 Pine Beauty






 Early Grey

Frosted Green

I am absolutely delighted to be able to announce I've received a long-term volunteer placement on Bardsey Island for this autumn from the end of August until the end of October, and I intend to do weekly round ups of my stay including highlights, trends, and of course photographs!

No comments:

Post a Comment