Saturday 16 April 2011

Tring Reservoirs and Pitstone

Yesterday I went with my brother to Tring to go birding. We caught the 6:58 train to Milton Keynes and arrived at Tring 15 minutes later. We cycled along the canal to Marsworth Resevoir. Then along a road to Wilstone Reservoir and then back along the canal to College Lake. After that we went to Pitstone hill.This toke the hole day twelve hours 6:00-18:00.
When we first arrived at Marsworth Reservoir my brother heard a Reed warbler and we stopped to take a look. After a while I walked around the place we had heard it to see it from another angle.I still could not see it but a Kingfisher came up a few meters away and landed unfortunately I did  not get a photo or footage. We gave up and moved on were my brother heard a Sedge warbler he looked for it and found it. I trained the scope on it and saw it had a ring. I could not quite make out what it said. We took a few photos and went on. This is one of the photos I took.


 Later after Marsworth we went onto Wilstone and as usual we stayed at the pier. We scanned the water that lay ahead and found nothing, but as my brother was looking out through the scope two Coots began to fight. It looked very rough. I took as many pictures as i could one of them I sent to Herts Bird Club hopefully they post it up.
 While we were in the hide at Wilstone reservoir two Graylag geese wounder towards us. They walked along the bit of land in front of the hide and began to preen themselves.
                         A little baby Mallard swam past the hide with about another six and their mother.

After Wilstone reservoir and College lake we went on to Pitstone hill we did not go to Ivinghoe because the route we had gone last time had been to dangerous and otherwise it was to far away and Pitstone was very close. We climbed up the hill and at the top there were hundreds of Skylarks all sing their heads off. This is one of the pictures I got of one singing. All together I saw: 
Birds with a ✓ next to them are a tick for my life list.
  • Magpie
  • Woodpigeon
  • Redwing (very late)
  • Song thrush
  • Kingfisher
  • Grey heron
  • Bullfinch
  • Sedge warbler
  • Common tern
  • Reed bunting
  • Coot
  • Tufted duck
  • Graylag goose
  • Mute swan
  • Mallard
  • Pochard
  • Cormarant
  • Canada goose
  • Great-crested grebe
  • Great tit
  • Blue tit
  • Dunnock
  • Red kite
  • Blackcap
  • Goldfinch
  • Shovoler
  • Swallow
  • Mistle thrush
  • Little egret
  • Blackbird
  • Lapwing
  • Chiffchaff
  • Buzzard
  • Moorhen
  • Wigeon
  • Common sandpiper (could be a ✓ but I think I saw one in Norfolk)
  • Sand martin
  • Great spotted woodpecker
  • Shelduck
  • Oystercatcher
  • Snipe
  • Sparrowhawk
  • Skylark
  • Meadow pipit
That is 44 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment